Thursday, June 3, 2010

New Day in Computing

Yesterday was a red-letter day for me. I ditched Windows Vista (Home Basic), and installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Linux as my one-and-only operating system.

I had been thinking about it for a while, trying out different programs, and working up my nerve to not use Spider Solitaire under Windows, with its cool graphics, ever again.

When I was about 97% sure I wanted to go for it, I started the process of backing up my files to a DVD. First, I was going to use the Windows Back-Up software, but it had so many restrictions on what it would back up, that almost put me at 100%. Then, I used Roxio CD/DVD Creator to make my backup, and it hung up, then wouldn't respond when asked to stop. That really pushed me over the top.

I inserted the CD of Ubuntu, and let 'er rip. Within about an hour, I had a basic, usable system. Today, I have been seeking out and installing some cool software that is not part of the basic system. You can do a lot of real work with the basics, but there are a few things I wanted. The first was GnuCash, an accounting program. I also downloaded Audacity, Gimp, a web server, a CD ripper, and some other interesting-sounding titles. When I was looking at GnuCash, I found two other "simple home banking" programs, and downloaded them, too. I plan to eventually set up a CMS package, such as Word Press or Drupal.

No comments: